We are companions to Catholic sisters in the United States as we learn to live the Gospel in ways that transform us and our world in Christ. All of us are laypeople, mostly in the Washington, DC area. We joyfully walk with the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR), the national association for 80% of US sisters.
We invite you to join us in solidarity with Catholic sisters and LCWR. Together we can:
Our most recent activities:
- Writing a chapter for LCWR's upcoming book. Many LCWR leaders will share what they learned through years of Vatican pressure to offer insight for this time of challenges in the USA and the world.
- Deeper experiences of contemplative dialogue with LCWR and as SwS, drawing on LCWR materials
- June 29, 2016 parish Prayer Vigil for Peace in A Time of Hate and Violence
- June 7, 2014 full-day conference & workshop on how LCWR's way of Spiritual Leadership, with videos
- Our past activities
- LCWR's 2017 Assembly 8/8-11 -- In the News includes complete updates as materials become available -- Assembly tweets, LCWR Facebook posts, Assembly addresses and other materials, and media coverage. For a few more days as we wait for remaining addresses and media coverage, Assembly information will remain at the top of the news feed and other items will follow. Sunday updates: Sr. Constance FitzGerald acceptance speech 8/11, Global Sisters Report article on all 8/11 events.
- In the News posts about former LCWR president +Sister Helen Maher Garvey (8/13: added a second great article), LCWR incoming president Sister Teresa Maya, LCWR current president Sister Mary Pellegrino, theologian Mary E.Hunt (who recently received a prestigious award from Harvard Divinity School), Archbishop John Quinn (and his pivotal actions during the Vatican investigation of LCWR in the 1980s), a Philly Mag story that introduces The Nuns of Philadelphia (no stereotypes -- it shows real, lively, engaging, diverse people), and info on the upcoming LCWR book for which we're writing a chapter..
LCWR is working on a leadership book that the world needs now. Women religious who led LCWR during the years of the doctrinal assessment and mandate will share their insights. "Led by their concern for the increasing presence of violence and conflict throughout the world and in this nation, the leaders concluded that articulating what they had experienced and learned may indeed be of help to others charged with leading organizations through situations of conflict and polarized thinking. They committed to writing reflections on what they believe are key factors for successfully navigating such situations, drawing upon their collective experiences leading LCWR at the time of the assessment." LCWR is seeking funding for this new writing project. (From the January 2017 LCWR newsletter Updates) We're writing a chapter for the book, at LCWR's request .
LCWR Commits to Gospel Values in the Post-Presidential Election Season. "Now is the time.... We recommit ourselves...." The best statement I've found anywhere. LCWR expresses who we are and who we hope to be.
If you want to know more about Solidarity with Sisters: page 7 of the IHM-Scranton publication Journey.
Older news and summaries are on our In the News page.
Photos from our 5/29/12 rally at the Vatican Embassy
Photo credits: Judith Sholes, Mary D. Ott, Veronica Fellerath-Lowell, Randy Cohen, James McGarrity