We are companions to Catholic sisters in the United States as we learn to live the Gospel in ways that transform us and our world in Christ. All of us are laypeople, mostly in the Washington, DC area. We joyfully walk with the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR), the national association for 80% of US sisters.
We invite you to join us in solidarity with Catholic sisters and LCWR. Together we can:
Our most recent activities:
- Deeper experiences of contemplative dialogue, learning from LCWR and its new online materials, to guide our group discernment and our individual choices of actions
- June 29, 2016 parish Prayer Vigil for Peace in solidarity with the LGBTQ, Latino, and Muslim communities after the shootings in Orlando
- June-July 2016 personal letters to each congregation that acknowledged having received an invitation from the Vatican to clarify concerns that arose during the 2008-2014 Apostolic Visitation. We thank those congregations for their kind responses.
- June 7, 2014 full-day conference & workshop on how LCWR sisters lead in a contemplative and collaborative way that we can apply in our own lives & work.Co-sponsored with the Institute for Policy Research at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC. The videos are especially good at sharing the day.
- Ongoing regular meetings with LCWR national office staff
- Our past activities
A big 5-year anniversary for LCWR and for us - in Betty's blog
LCWR is working on a leadership book that the world needs now. Women religious who led LCWR during the years of the doctrinal assessment and mandate will share their insights. "Led by their concern for the increasing presence of violence and conflict throughout the world and in this nation, the leaders concluded that articulating what they had experienced and learned may indeed be of help to others charged with leading organizations through situations of conflict and polarized thinking. They committed to writing reflections on what they believe are key factors for successfully navigating such situations, drawing upon their collective experiences leading LCWR at the time of the assessment." LCWR is seeking funding for this new writing project. (From the January 2017 LCWR newsletter Updates).
LCWR Commits to Gospel Values in the Post-Presidential Election Season. "Now is the time.... We recommit ourselves...." The best statement I've found anywhere. LCWR expresses who we are and who we hope to be.
If you want to know more about Solidarity with Sisters: page 7 of the IHM-Scranton publication Journey.
Older news and summaries are on our In the News page.
Photos from our 5/29/12 rally at the Vatican Embassy
Photo credits: Judith Sholes, Mary D. Ott, Veronica Fellerath-Lowell, Randy Cohen, James McGarrity